What is smudging? It clears away all the anxiety and stress of the past, and leaves you with the opportunity to say cleanly, we are grateful for this place. Smudging can sound a bit intimidating to many people. It can also look unsafe or too complicated to be practised often. Rest assured this is not true. Smudging is not complicated, not hard and totally safe if you follow several very simple steps. What is important to accept, though, is that smudging is an ancient and sacred ceremony, so it is best to do it with full awareness and in a slow, mindful manner. As even the happiest homes accumulate in time negative vibrations, it is good to smudge your home thoroughly at least several times a year.
How to Smudge Your House
1. Place the candle, the fireproof container and the smudge stick on a table, desk or any other appropriate surface. It is best if you create a sense of ceremony when you smudge your house, as well as find time when you will not be disturbed; 10-15 min should be enough.
2. Light the candle and say a prayer one like this 'I cleanse this room of any impurities, negativity, or anything that does not suit or support the people that live here.' Or just focus your energy. Light the tip of your smudge stick with a candle light, and then gently wave the stick in the air till the tip begins to smoulder.
3. Hold the smudge stick over the fireproof container at all times in order to avoid any lit herbs falling on the floor. You can use a feather, if you have one, but usually just gently waving your hands to disperse the smoke is enough. Remind yourself to stay connected to your breathing throughout your smudging session.
4. Go clockwise around your house (usually starting at the front door), and gently wave the smoke into the air. Spend a bit more time smudging the room corners, as they tend to accumulate stagnant energy. Be sure to also open the closet doors and carefully smudge inside. Do not forget about spaces such as the laundry room, the garage or the basement.
5. When you have smudged all areas of your house, come back to where you started and give yourself a lavender shower. Cup your hands over the smoke and "wash" your face with it, then wave it all over your body as you would in a water shower. Visualise any residual negativity sailing out of your body, out of your home, and into oblivion.
6. Gently extinguish your smudge stick (dipping it into sand while applying a bit of pressure usually works well). Wait a bit, and then pack your smudge stick, as well as the container, till your next smudging session. You can leave the candle, if you so desire, to continue to purify the energy.
33 Waireka Road, Wanganui
Call first: 3425898 or 0274690411
Mon-Fri --------------------- 9am - 5pm
Sat --------------------- 9am - 1pm
Sun --------------------- Closed